We had some great updates this year. A lot of small wonderful improvements, but also big milestones like full page embeds, custom domains, two-way sync, new row button and of course Coda AI.
For 2024 I think I don’t necessarily require any new features (at least that is what I think now until I see what Coda comes up with :D), but I have some wishes for improving the status quo. Improving the many details, that consciously or subconsciously make the every day experience.
Coda is doing wonderful in these details and implemented a lot of improvements over the years. Yet, there is a couple of things left, where I sometimes wonder how this is not seen for so long time. Especially since most of it was raised at least once in the community, slack and support channels.
So here is my list with often links to posts from the community:
We got timezone and first time of the month. Please continue with:
- Default Currency (Default currency format)
- Default Export Format (Export to PDF A4)
- Default Dateformat (Please allow me to set a default Date and time format & Set default date format for a document & European date formats default option)
I could live inside Coda. But sometimes I still need PDF & print to share with others. E.g. for every report I make, every long research or study, I usually provide an interactive Coda version and additionally a PDF – which is a lot of manual work to make it look good.
- “Export” as an action (Save to pdf button with options & Export To PDF from button)
- “Export preview” where you already see options applied
- More options (also Save to pdf button with options) including Scale to make sure your table fits
Yeah, we got it. Coda has AI features. In 99% of cases, I don’t intend to use AI at all in a doc though. It is even worse, as a I have clients who strictly forbid using e.g. OpenAi, which means when I’m not careful, I might unintentionally trigger an AI call via a slash command and violate the policy.
- Toggle AI features (including UI) per doc and/or per folder (Turn off AI suggestions and buttons)
Spacing and formats got a lot better in some update in the last years, but when working with horizontal lines, it gets frustrating.
- Same spacing between HR & Headline as Text & Headline
- Add H4 & H5 style. For me personally no button in the textstyle menu necessary, but at least a different look when using markup (Ability to add Headings H4-H6 )
- Style markup when pasted (Really support Markdown, or stop claiming so - #6 by Toby_Butterworth)
When using slash commands, I’d like to stick to the keyboard as long as possible.
- After /table, have a textfield where I can already enter the name of the table – and it autosuggests if it would be a view or a blank one (Slash Command (/) & New Tables : Creating directly "Named" tables?)
- When using the search field in “or connect to a table” make the tables below accessible via TAB next. Now I have to use the mouse to select it.
Sometimes I’d like to change column options or type for more than one column at once. Currently this only works for wrap and hide.
- Allow bulk edit columns of same type e.g. change currency or decimals, or make numbers to scales etc…
Not only a quality of life but as a I see in discussions a very big topic for many of us in terms of data security and the necessity of manual work. Also a topic with a lot of uncertainty.
- Set who can show/hide pages (Add option/toggle to hide 'Show hidden pages' toggle & Disable "show hidden pages" (as disable "copy doc"))
- Make “show hidden pages” a permanent toggle per doc instead of a temporary mode (Always show hidden pages if I have previously set it to true)
- Make hidden stuff not searchable!! ("Search" unfortunately reveals all "hidden" pages, all hidden data - #5 by Jean-Marie_FAVRE)
When working with cross-doc and packs, I sometimes get into trouble when I want to share the doc e.g. as a template. Sometimes I don’t even want it to be a “connected” table/doc anymore. Now copying the table structure and update all formulas and relations is a lot of work.
- Dispatch instance and transform table to plain text table. Keep all relations and when used in formulas.
- For calendar view, being able to select custom display column(s) other than default display column
- Mobile view for calendars
I know its a lot and many of it might be way more complicated than they sound. But maybe one or the other wish comes true…